Bicycle Accident Attorneys in York, PA
Help for cyclists injured in accidents throughout South Central Pennsylvania
Bicycling is a fun and healthy activity as well as a convenient mode of transportation. Bicycles are an environmentally friendly transportation method, and the number of people who ride their bikes to work increases every year. Unfortunately, cycling also poses risks to riders, especially when they are sharing the road with motor vehicles and negligent drivers.
After a bike accident, it is crucial you understand your rights. The York personal injury attorneys at KBG Injury Law can help. If you or a family member are injured in a bicycle crash or collision, we can explain the necessary steps to recover compensation for your injuries and losses. One of our team members is an avid cyclist, and is familiar with the issues that bicycle injury claims face, as well as the potential extent of the damage that can be done. Talk to us today for experienced and knowledgeable assistance regarding your case.
How can we help?
- How common are bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania?
- Why do bicycle accidents happen?
- Does Pennsylvania have a bicycle helmet law?
- What are the most common injuries from bicycle accidents?
- What should I do after a York, PA bike accident?
- How much is my bicycle accident case worth?
- Is there a York, PA bicycle accident attorney near me?
How common are bicycle accidents in Pennsylvania?
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that about two percent of car accident fatalities each year involve bicyclists. They also note that the vast majority of cyclists suffer fatal injuries to the head, which demonstrates the importance of always wearing a helmet. The IIHS also reports the following statistics about bicycle accidents across the United States:
- In 2019, 843 cyclists lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents.
- 90 percent of those killed were age 20 and over.
- 520 bicyclists involved in fatal accidents were not wearing a helmet.
- Fatal bicycle crashes and collisions are more common in July and August.
- 78 percent of cyclists suffered fatal accidents in urban areas.
Pennsylvania saw 819 bicycle crashes in 2020, with 22 fatalities. Although the number of crashes decreased from the previous year’s 1,020, the number of fatalities rose by six. The Pennsylvania DOT also reports the majority of bicyclists are involved in accidents at intersections with passenger cars.
Why do bicycle accidents happen?
Bicycle and biking accidents can happen for a wide variety of reasons. Often, however, negligent or careless drivers cause accidents and injuries by failing to follow traffic and safety laws. Common reasons bicycle crashes and accidents occur include:
- Driver negligence, including driving while impaired, distracted, or fatigued.
- Motorists failing to yield to cyclists.
- Drivers opening doors in a bicyclist’s path.
- Drivers failing to obey traffic signals and signs.
- Vehicles passing or following cyclists too closely.
- Motorists making improper turns.
- Dangerous and unsafe roadways.
If you or a loved one suffered injury in a bicycle accident that was not your fault, the York bike accident attorneys at KBG Injury Law can help determine your next steps. We can investigate the circumstances of your accident and pinpoint the responsible parties, then work to secure compensation while you recover from your injuries.
Does Pennsylvania have a bicycle helmet law?
Here in York and across Pennsylvania, anyone under the age of 12 must wear a bicycle helmet. However, the Pennsylvania DOT recommends all cyclists regardless of age use a helmet. Consumer Reports states that 78 percent of adult and 88 percent of child bicyclists suffering head injuries in cycling accidents were not wearing helmets.
What are the most common injuries from bicycle accidents?
Because so many bike accidents are between bicycles and cars, cyclists tend to experience severe or catastrophic injury. A bicyclist may be thrown to the pavement or into the windshield of a car, resulting in physical trauma like:
| || |
Victims of serious bicycle accidents may also suffer emotional injuries, like post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.
What should I do after a York, PA bike accident?
The aftermath of an accident can be confusing and stressful, especially when injuries are involved. Taking the following into consideration can help you protect yourself in the event you need to make a personal injury claim later:
- Report the accident to law enforcement. After you have been in an accident, contacting law enforcement should be your first move. Be sure to carry a phone with you while out on your bike so you can contact 911 in the event of an accident.
- Collect contact information. Witnesses are an important component of your injury case and can contribute to the credibility of your claim. Gather contact information from witnesses while you wait for law enforcement to arrive. An official police report with witness accounts will also provide further evidence for your case.
- Gather evidence. After the accident, document your injuries and the accident scene. Take pictures of the vehicle involved, your physical injuries, and any damages to your belongings and bicycle. Note any traffic signs and signals nearby as well.
- Seek medical attention. Medical treatment is crucial for both your health and your case. Your injuries should be documented by a medical professional. You can receive a wellness checkup from your family doctor or in the emergency room. Save all medical records and receipts.
- Consult with a York bicycle accident attorney. If you or a family member suffer injury in a bike accident, it is crucial to have representation upon which you can depend. Without expert legal help, you may face lost wages and extensive medical bills.
The attorneys at KBG Injury Law understand what you are dealing with, and we are here to help. Talk to us today about the potential value of your claim.
How much is my bicycle accident case worth?
When your bike accident occurred due to another’s negligence or recklessness, you are likely eligible for compensation for your injuries. Although everyone’s injuries and circumstances are unique, our lawyers work to secure the fair and proper amount of compensation for your losses – whether through a negotiated settlement or going to court on your behalf.
Our legal team investigates your case and taps into our network of resources to determine the damages to which you are entitled, which can include:
- Lost wages, now and future
- Reduced earning capacity if you cannot return to your current job
- Medical expenses, including future treatments, physical therapy, and medications
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress
It is important to consult with an attorney as soon as possible, as the Pennsylvania statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is two years.
Is there a York, PA bicycle accident attorney near me?
KBG Injury Law is located at 110 North George Street, near Interstate 83 and Routes 30, 74 and 462. We are in the heart of downtown York, less than a block from the York County Courthouse.
Skilled bicycle accident lawyers in York serving South Central Pennsylvania
Cycling is a great way to travel, and find solitude and peace. Unfortunately, even the safest cyclist may be involved in an accident with a negligent driver. If you or a family member is in a bicycle accident, you may face serious, life-threatening injuries and financial losses. Contact the York bike accident lawyers at KBG Injury Law to request a free consultation to discuss your case and get the results you deserve. Call 717-848-3838 or toll free at 800.509.1011 or fill out our contact form today. We have offices in York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Hanover, and Gettysburg, and serve clients throughout South Central Pennsylvania.