Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, caregiver or other medical provider commits a negligent or careless act. It is estimated medical error causes or contributes to over a quarter of a million deaths per year in the United States, making medical malpractice the third leading cause of death nationwide, behind heart disease and cancer.
Medical Malpractice in Pennsylvania
In 2018, over 900 medical malpractice claims were paid in Pennsylvania alone. With malpractice payments totaling nearly $370 million, these numbers earned Pennsylvania the second-place rank among all 50 states for the highest payouts nationwide.
If you or someone you love has been affected by medical malpractice in Hershey or anywhere in Pennsylvania, you have a right to hold the practitioner or facility accountable. At KBG Law, we can help. Reach out to us to speak to a medical malpractice lawyer today.
Who Commits Medical Malpractice?
Medical providers must offer care to the best of their abilities. We trust them with our health and our lives. If doctors or staff violate that trust with misdiagnosis, surgical error, prescription mistakes or other negligent actions, the consequences can be devastating. Virtually any person involved with your medical care can commit medical malpractice, including:
Facilities can commit malpractice as well, leading to claims against hospitals, nursing homes and major HMOs (health maintenance organizations) for professionals operating in their network.
Types of Medical Malpractice
Whether deliberate or accidental, acts of malpractice can have lifelong impacts for affected patients. Examples of medical malpractice include:
- Misdiagnosis: We often take the doctor’s word for it. If a doctor fails to diagnose your illness correctly, it could prevent you from seeking proper treatment.
- Surgical errors: Surgical errors include performing unnecessary or incorrect surgery, causing injury during a procedure and failure to provide proper aftercare.
- Failure to treat: In the profit-driven medical sector, physicians can be tempted to overload their schedules, neglecting to perform treatment on time.
- Prescription errors: Doctors, nurses and pharmacists can be guilty of medical malpractice for incorrect administration or dosing of prescription drugs.
- Product liability: Many different medical devices are surgically inserted into the body. If a product fails, it can cause injury.
- Birth injuries: If any of the medical staff involved in childbirth make errors or commit negligence during delivery, they may be liable for damages.
In Pennsylvania, medical malpractice claims are held to a two-year statute of limitations. This period begins at the first sign of symptoms. If you think you have a medical practice claim, file as soon as possible to meet the deadline. An attorney can help you file a medical malpractice claim.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Hershey, PA
Medical malpractice is a serious breach of trust. At KBG Injury Law, we can help you and your family get the compensation you deserve and need to pay for recovery. Our firm has over 30 years of experience assisting people in regaining control of their lives following injuries and accidents. For help filing a medical malpractice claim in Hershey, PA, request a free consultation today.