How Is Responsibility Determined in a Trucking Accident?
Determining trucking accident responsibility if you have been in a trucking collision is important. Determining why an accident happened not only brings closure, but is also an important way to ensure you get the compensation you may qualify for. Knowing whether your truck accident was caused by driver error or by mechanical failure, for example, can determine who the defendant in any legal claim file might be.In general, the parties responsible for your trucking collision and injuries may include:
In general, the parties responsible for your trucking collision and injuries may include:
- The truck driver
- The owner of the truck or trailer
- The shipper or loader of the cargo
- The party leasing the truck or trailer
- The manufacturer of the truck or truck parts that caused or exacerbated the accident
In some cases, multiple liable parties may be involved. For example, the truck driver may have committed a human error, but the person loading the truck may have also failed to secure the cargo correctly and a truck part may have failed to work correctly, making the truck accident worse than it otherwise would have been.In this case, there may be a claim against the truck driver, loader and truck manufacturer. Pursuing all three parties may be important for securing compensation for your injuries.
In this case, there may be a claim against the truck driver, loader and truck manufacturer. Pursuing all three parties may be important for securing compensation for your injuries.
How to Determine Liability
Determining what caused an accident can be done through a number of means, including:
- The report filed by the certified truck inspector who is required to be at the scene of any large truck accident
- Police investigation
- Private investigators and accident reconstruction experts
- Data recovered from the truck’s black box, GPS system, onboard computer and other technology
- Witness testimony or feeds from nearby traffic cameras or other cameras
Getting the full story about what happened in your accident is important. If you would like to speak to an attorney to ensure your accident is thoroughly investigated, contact KBG Injury Law for a consultation. KBG Injury Law has a network of investigators, consultants, paralegals and other professionals to help determine the cause of your accident and find all liable parties.